What Is Google Tag Manager (GTM) & Why It’s Required for BuyerBridge
One of the most crucial technical integrations that your agency needs to set up in BuyerBridge is Google Tag Manager (GTM).
Installing the GTM code on your dealer's website allows BuyerBridge to measure and optimize Facebook Ads by compiling data from the Facebook pixel and ALL other website traffic for an advertiser...
...in simpler terms, we require that you install GTM on each dealer clients’ website so that BuyerBridge can completely optimize and measure their Facebook & Instagram ad campaigns.
Google Tag Manager is a Tag Management System, and ‘Tag’s’ are the part of your dealer clients’ website code that gets sent over to BuyerBridge.
When these code snippets are sent, BuyerBridge compiles that data with data from the Facebook pixel to track user data beyond clicks, engagement, etc.
BuyerBridge then utilizes this code to identify any “ViewContent” events, or “Lead Events” relating to any clicks or engagement.
To learn more about the Facebook Pixel and Event Flow, READ: “What Is BuyerBridge EventFlow?”
Setting Up GTM for a New Account
While onboarding a new account, there are 2 steps relating to Google Tag Manager:
- GTM Setup
- GTM Detection
REMINDER: Both of these steps are required in order for BuyerBridge to create a Google Tag Manager container for the dealer’s website - which can then be sent to your site provider or host.
The site provider will then install the code on the dealer’s website in order to track events, enable call tracking, and build retargeting audiences!
- First > click Select Site Provider and toggle to the appropriate provider (this will formulate the code for that site provider).
NOTE: If you do not see your site provider listed > check Provider not in list.
- Next, to install the code, you will either:
- Click View & Copy Code
- Click Download Code
If you click View & Copy Code
The “Copy Google Tag Manager Code” screen will slide out on the right and will contain the GTM code BuyerBridge has created for you.
You will need to:
- Copy the primary script and paste it on every page as high in the <head> of the page as possible.
- Copy and paste the secondary script IMMEDIATELY after the opening <body> tag on every page.
- If you’re sending the code to another party, we recommend sending the link located at the bottom of the “Copy Google Tag Manager Code” slide-out screen to expedite the process.
If you click Download Code
The HTML scripts will download for you to save and email directly to your site provider for installation.
- Once you have installed the code or delivered it to another party for installation > click Continue to access the GTM Detection step and identify if the GTM was correctly installed.
- If GTM is detected > click Continue to complete Tag Manager and Site Provider Setup.
If GTM is NOT detected but has been verified by your Site Provider, you can choose to override GTM Detection (not recommended) > click the checkbox next to "Override GTM Detection."
Users can revisit the GTM Detection step later to detect if the GTM has been installed.
Once GTM is detected, you're all set!